Monday 2 June 2014

Playing With Perseus

I have long been intrigued with the Perseus SDR and earlier this spring I decided to purchase one for myself. After several years of software updating improvements, Perseus seems to have reached its final state of evolution and has been a favorite amongst the BCB and NDB DXers for several years. The ability to record a 1600KHz swath of the spectrum all night long is one of its key features. Using a freeware add-on called Mestor will also allow several variations of pre-scheduled 'top-of-hour' recordings for those that like to DX the medium wave BCB.


Perseus GUI Screen
 

One of my main winter activities is hunting the low frequency NDB band, especially for some of the elusive pre-dawn Alaskans. Perseus now allows me to stay in my warm midwinter bed while doing all of the early morning listening for me.

The downside of being able to sleep and DX at the same time is the time that one needs to spend later, going over the recorded files and listening carefully to all frequencies of interest....which still beats crawling out of a warm bed at 0600 and heading outside to the shack!

The performance of Perseus below the BCB is nothing short of superb and is the best LF receiver I have used, slightly surpassing the excellent LF performance of my IC - 756PROIII.
Bandwidths as low as 2 - 3 Hz are possible, ideal for separating closely-spaced NDBs that are often stacked one on top of another. The adjustable notch filter can be slipped to the edge of an offending carrier and notch depth tweaked from there, making otherwise covered signals pop out of the pile.

I've also had a chance to use Perseus as a BCB DX - machine as well, where its performance and strong signal handling capability continued to impress me.

I bought my Perseus from Gerry at SSB Electronics where I found customer service to be superb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I'll have to live vicariously through you for a while but I'm sure I'll be venturing into SDR land inevitably at some point. - Bert WF7I

Steve McDonald said...

I held out as long as I could Bert, but eventually went to the darkside. Wish I had done it sooner!

Steve