Saturday 1 November 2014

E-bay Resistors From China

During the past few projects I'd noticed a serious diminishing of my 1/4 watt resistor stock and decided to see what was available from e-Bay.

Many of the dealers in China were offering various packages at reasonable prices and it is hard to resist 'free shipping'.

After narrowing things down I decided on one particular dealer, electronics-salon, who had only five minor complaints in over 17,000 transactions during the past 12 month period. As well, he seemed to be selling only high-quality components, unlike many of the sellers from China.

The offering was for:

0 to 10M ohm 1/4 Watts Axial Lead Carbon Film Resistors Assorted Kit.
E-12 Series 86 Values, Total 860 Pieces (Each 10).
Resistance Tolerance : +-5%.
Rated Power : 1/4 Watt.
100% New, Never Used.
RoHS Compliant
.


With free-shipping, the cost was just over one-cent per resistor and would nicely re-stock my 1/4W trays as well as provide me with many more values to choose from than at present...hard to resist!

So...what happened?

Courtesy: http://www.ebay.ca/
The resistors arrived, packaged as shown, at the normal 'free-shipping' (slow) rate, which I don't mind. I selected three values to test and three samples of each value...120K, 68K and 8.2 ohms.
All resistors were within their 5% tolerance rating except for one of the 8.2's which measured 7.6 ohms... 2% out of tolerance.


I next smoke-tested a 680 ohm resistor for five minutes at slightly more than 1/4 watt dissipation. Measuring the resistor immediately after revealed that there had been no change in resistance.

Overall I am pleased with this purchase and would buy from this particular e-Bay seller in the future.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, the only thing I don't like about these "new" Chinese resistors is the skinny leads

Steve McDonald said...

Silly me...I hadn't even noticed! My older ones are .5mm while the new ones are .35mm, a significant difference. My building is split between Manhattan-style and PCB so it shouldn't be an issue but I can see it being something to think about if one does a lot of 'ugly' construction and uses the leads to support other components. Thanks for pointing this out!

Unknown said...

I purchased the exact same resistor kit and am thoroughly please with them. It's true that the leads are flimsy but I don't do much if any Ugly Construction.
73...
Bob de k2ki

Steve McDonald said...

Good to hear you are happy with them Bob...I think they'll do me just fine but interesting to see the difference in lead diameter.

73

G1KQH said...

I got a better buy 2500 1% check out my Blog here:

http://g1kqh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/stocking-up.html


73 G1KQH

Steve McDonald said...

That is a nice deal Steve. I've stayed away from the blue-body resistors as the ones from China that are sold in Vancouver use a non-standard value, unlike what we are used to. Are these ones all standard-values and do they use the standard color coding? I note that their ad doesn't mention which values are included.
I've heard good things from about Banggood as well. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Steve.

G1KQH said...

Values include:

The values of resistor are: 10M ,4,7M, 2M, 1M, 390K, 330K, 300K, 220K, 200K, 180K, 150K, 100K, 82K, 68K, 47K, 33K, 37K, 20K, 18K, 15K, 10K, 9K1, 8K2, 6K8, 5K6, 4K3, 3K9, 3K3, 3K, 2K7, 2K4, 2K, 1K5, 1K2, 1K, 680R, 470R, 300R, 270R, 180R, 91R, 68R, 56R, 47R, 20R, 10R, 6,6R, 1,8R, 1,2R , 1R.

They are five banded resistors inc one for the tolerance.

Arrived quick and you can use Paypal on Banggood, so no problem getting your money back if things go wrong..

Hope that helps you all over there, and others who fancy a punt..

73 Steve

G1KQH

Steve McDonald said...

Thanks for this info Steve. I'm sure many will pounce on that now...hard to beat.

73

G1KQH said...

More component finds coming up sooon!

http://g1kqh.blogspot.co.uk/


Let us know what you think about the resistors if you buy a pack?

I will put a link into the VE7SL Blog from my site next time I am in front of the main PC..


73 Steve